RECOVERING KITTY

Written by Captain Mary on Tuesday, December 30, 2008


My zoo residents are taxing my emotions to the maximum. If I had unlimited resources I would be the caretaker of all kinds of animals, I would take in every stray that needed a loving home.

These last few months have seen so much loss in my little animal kingdom, this time another of my kitties was missing for three days and I made my walk around the neighborhood each evening calling for him. It was Sunday morning and I was getting ready to make repairs on the screen on my patio, at the same time doing a kitty inventory as I do each day. When I noticed my missing kitty, Salty, was laying in the yard. I walked over to him and he did not get up to greet me, instead he was crying a loud meow, that I thought sounded different. When he tried to stand up, he fell over, he was breathing very hard and he had become dirty and skinny. I can't say what happened to him but he was in horrible condition, there wasn't a mark on him, no blood or obvious broken bones, but he was a mess.

I got on the phone and called Queenie, she rushed over to see if she could help, we got some water for him and food. Salty hesitated but finally began to eat and drink.

I can only wonder how he got back in the yard, when he could hardly stand up, I have a 6 foot privacy fence, but somehow out of sheer determination he scaled the fence and found his way home. Its been a couple of days now and he is not crying in pain, some of his injuries seem to be better, today he jumped up on the table for food. Most of the time he stays in the crate, even though I keep the door open. I can only hope that it was an accident of some type and not a person who injured my kitty. I wonder why anyone could hurt an animal, but I have so many animals because they have been abandoned or left to fend for themselves. I just don't understand why people find the lives of animals less important than their garbage.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book
  1. 1 comments: Responses to “ RECOVERING KITTY ”

  2. By Anonymous on December 31, 2008 at 6:31 AM

    Clearly I'm not an expert on kittys, Gumba being my first. I do see many in the neighborhood, and unfortunately they encounter many elements, including dogs. They are lucky to have you, but they are curious and don't realize how wonderful life really is in their own garden. Kinda like a human's world.