BIMINI BOUND

Written by Captain Mary on Sunday, June 22, 2008



I had been watching the weather all week and it was looking good for the weekend. My problem is I couldn't find anyone who wanted to go, so I told myself I am going no matter what. My daughter was busy with work, my son busy with his children, who would go? My son suggested asking Jeff and Shelah, my best friends in the whole world, after all their children are on vacation at their grandparents house. I asked and they were thrilled, Shelah and Jeff are so easy going but lack in boating experience, but what the heck, I'm going.

I was up at 4:30 am boat packed and Jeff and Shelah showed up with breakfast and supplies for a trip on the water. For greenies they sure caught on fast. Launched the boat and out we came through the channel looking toward the ocean and gazed at the beautiful calm seas that we were to explore for the day. Started trolling when the water was deep enough, not many signs of life in the Big Pond, a fond name for the Atlantic Ocean. We trolled and trolled, just enjoying the peace and the sea. Time passed and somehow we ended up in Bimini, Bahamas. Something comes over me when I see the tiny speck of islands. This is where I would love to live, there is happiness and a feeling of well being, sort of like being on a really cool drug. I must look ridiculous with this giant frozen smile. This feeling is contagious, because my friends got the disease too. We snorkeled, we walked the streets and enjoyed the brightly colored homes, that dotted the perfectly matched turquoise waters that touched the white sand beaches.

The time passed and it was time to head home, thought we would catch something on the way home. I saw birds diving, which is a great signal that there is hungry fish at the surface. I headed toward the birds and the water was so clear and blue the fish appeared like magic. We began catching fish, and then one fish jumped in the boat, check this out Click for Fish Whisperer a great story about the event. We had so much fun and it gets crazy in a school of dolphin, (mahi mahi), we trolled more on the way home and picked up a couple of Barracudas, a great fight and released back to the wild, we continue home. The day was perfect and the company even better. To read Jeff and Shelah's version of the story and see the pictures click Bimini for the details.


The fun didn't end that day, the next day was the big fish fry, we ate our fill and drank great Bahamian Beer, after the meal was a watermelon filled with Rum from the islands. A great day with my kids and friends. Every weekend seems to turn into a party.


Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book
  1. 7 comments: Responses to “ BIMINI BOUND ”

  2. By Anonymous on June 23, 2008 at 4:26 AM

    You aren't moving there. I would miss you too much and right now, I can't affrod your gas bill for a ferry service.

  3. By Merle on June 23, 2008 at 8:37 AM

    Hi Captain Mary ~~ Nice to meet you
    but surprised it was at Herons Nest. I don't use that blog any more. My new one is merle-3rdtimelucky.blogspot.com/

    I am so glad that you enjoy your life, your family and friends and your fishing etc. Take care,
    Cheers, Merle.

  4. By Patty on June 23, 2008 at 8:56 AM

    Good mmorning, thanks for your visit and comment. Our son lives in Fl, has for about 30 years now. Again, thanks for your visit.

  5. By jamie on June 23, 2008 at 9:52 AM

    This sounds amazing! Iowa summers definitely aren't like this. I wish I could just skip to the Bahamas whenever I felt like it! :)

  6. By Mini on June 23, 2008 at 12:19 PM

    I agree with you, I want to live there. And if it wasnt for the kids, I would. It is the same amount to live there and the people are ten times nicer!!!

  7. By Mini on June 23, 2008 at 12:20 PM

    ok and also it looks like Jeff and Shelah both got T-bagged!!! Ha! That is great!

  8. By Kelly Ann on June 23, 2008 at 2:14 PM

    I read about it at Shelah's place, that was awesome of you to do with them. The weather and the water looked perfect as well. For some reason though the top picture of Jeff and Shelah is all the way under your right sidebar for me, using FF.